Providing Security Through Blankets
Cedar Rapids/Iowa City/Waterloo, IA Chapter
WHO WE ARE - Project Linus is 100% volunteer, non-profit organization. We have over 370 chapters and have delivered almost 1.5 MILLION blankets worldwide in the last 10 years.
WHAT WE DO - We provide security and a warm "hug" to seriously ill or traumatized children with new, handmade blankets. We also provide opportunities for the community to assist in this effort by making blankets, donating materials to make blankets or by donating financially to the local chapter so we can purchase materials to make the blankets.
WHAT TYPE OF BLANKETS ARE ACCEPTED - Blankets may be quilts, tied comforters, knitted or crocheted afghans, or single layer fleece with finished edges. You don't have to be an expert! They must be new, handmade, and washable.
WHAT SIZES ARE NEEDED - Project Linus accepts blankets in all sizes. We donate to children & infants through teen years, so any size is okay. The colors should be child friendly and appropriate for the size and age.
WHERE DO THE BLANKETS GO - Blankets are distributed locally through the hospitals (primarily) and crisis centers. The blankets are a gift for the children to keep.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP - Contact your local chapter for more information. Learn more at www.projectlinus.org.
Mary Stark, Chapter Coordinator
Cedar Rapids/Iowa City/Waterloo, IA
Phone - 319-377-1877
Email - stark email@example.com
Project Linus - Blanket Specifications
A gentle reminder concerning the types of blankets Project Linus chapters may accept. Blankets must meet these National Guidelines. Thank you!
* Make blankets from NEW, CLEAN, WASHABLE materials in infant, child, or teen friendly colors. Remember, these blankets are meant to be colorful, cheerful, and cuddly. Wash and iron fabrics to remove sizing which can cause allergic reactions.
* Crochet, knit, quilt, or tie your blankets - or finish the edge on single layer polar fleece.
* Make blankets from 100% cotton fabric, flannel, polar fleece, or acrylic yarn. Thread should be cotton, cotton wrapped, or polyester. NO MONOFILAMENT thread.
* Secure the batting into outer seams and if the blanket is tied, please anchor it every 4-6 inches, cutting ties to 1 inch or less in length.
* Weave in all yarn ends on crocheted and knitted blankets.
* Check your blanket carefully for straight pins. It's better you find that pin and not the child who receives your blanket.
* Provide your name and address with your blanket.
* Don't make your blankets out of tapestry, burlap, upholstery fabric, 70's type double knit, felt, vinyl, wool, holiday fabric or wool yarn. Also, please do not donate these types of fabrics and yarn.
* Don't attach buttons or decorative items to a blanket. They can be a choking hazard.
* Don't use thick fabric paint on the surface of your blanket. Use ONLY permanent fabric markers made specifically for fabric when coloring on muslin.
* Don't use wool or wool-blend yarn.
PLEASE NOTE ...
*Blankets that smell of smoke or strong chemicals (including perfumed fabric softeners), or have pet hair on them cannot be accepted as they produce severe allergic reaction in the children. Unfortunately, washing these blankets does not always remove the problem. Please use a lint brush or roller on your blankets if they are covered with thread or lint.
* Another word about pins ... PLEASE check, double check and triple check your blankets for straight pins. Tags usually sperate from the blankets when they are transported leaving a lost pin just waiting to poke a child. PLEASE use only safety pins to attach notes to quilts.
* No holiday fabrics or panels please (Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc.)
* Blanket Sizes (measurements are approximate)
Crocheted or knitted baby blankets - 30" x 30" or 30" x 36" using soft pastel baby yarn (no smaller please). Use patterns with a tight gauge to prevent large holes. No wool or wool blend yarn, acrylic, or polyester only. For child sizes - choose child friendly colors.
* Quilts - Child - 36" x 45" or 40" x 54" to 60" Teen - 45" x 65" to 70"
* Fleece - Baby - 30" x 36, Child - 45" x width of fabric, Teen - 45" x width of fabric
* Be creative! Keep in mind that children will be selecting a blanket with which to cuddle and receive comfort.