When we put Love of Quilting magazine issues together, our goal is always to bring you the best designs from our editors and contributors. Sometimes, we end up with more quilts than we have space for. What to do when we run out of pages in our issues? We offer the remaining quilts as free quilt patterns on our website!
We had so many wonderful contenders for the Love of Quilting May/June 2016 issue, that we ended up with 3 bonus quilts: Lover’s Lake, On the Range, and Color Play Rainbow, all of which are available on FonsandPorter.com as a free quilt pattern download. One of my favorites from this issue is Color Play Rainbow!
Color Play Rainbow is a bright and airy twin, bed-size quilt that can also be displayed in your home as a throw quilt. It’s a quilter’s prerogative, in this case. This quilt draws me in through its use of color; it seems nearly impossible to be anything but cheery when this quilt is around! Let’s take a closer look at how this quilt is assembled:
1) Referring to Sew Easy: Piecing Curves on page 7 (included in free quilt pattern download), join 1 A Background and 1 B Quarter Circle to make 1 Unit. (Curved Unit Diagrams).
2) Make a total of 240 Curved Units in the combinations listed in Curved Unit Diagrams.
1) Lay out Curved Units and sashing rectangles as shown in Quilt Top Assembly Diagram.
2) Join Curved Units into pairs. join pairs into vertical rows.
3) Join pieced vertical rows and sashing rectangles to complete quilt center.
4) Add light yellow print top and bottom borders to complete quilt top.
This quilt sounds like a lot of fun to make! For a materials list, cutting and finishing instructions, make sure to download the Color Play Rainbow free quilt pattern. Also, make sure to take a look at our other free quilt patterns and 10 quilts that fill the pages of the Love of Quilting May/June 2016 issue, including 3 quilts featured on the Love of Quilting TV show!
There are more free quilt patterns coming your way in the upcoming Love of Quilting July/August 2016 issue! Keep your eyes peeled – this issue hits newsstands on July 14, 2016.
We always have free quilt patterns and free quilting eBooks available on the Fons & Porter website, along with other free quilting designs, size charts and more. Just make sure to register for free on the website and you get access to all of this and more!