Built in 1870, Cutler-Donahoe Covered Bridge was moved in 1970 from its original location out in the country to its present position in Winterset City Park. The only covered bridge within city limits, it’s a short drive down the street from Fons & Porter Quilt Supply.
Birthplace of John Wayne.
|What to see in Winterset, Iowa:
- 5 of the county’s original 19 covered bridges remain. All are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Covered Bridge Festival, the second full weekend in October
- Birthplace of John Wayne, featuring authentic period furnishings and the largest public collection of John Wayne memoribilia in the world.
- Antique shops
- Pammel State Park offers camping and Middle River Ford, where visitors can drive their vehicles through the water to the west side of the park.
For tourism information contact:
Madison County Chamber of Commerce
(800) 298-6119 or (515) 462-1185
Also contact the Chamber if you’re interested in scheduling a Quilt Quest bus trip to Winterset.
Other topics you may enjoy: