Use the Nine-Blade Fan Template Set to quickly cut pieces for fan quilt blocks. Nine-Blade Fan Quilt Units can be put together in no time flat with this fun technique!
Using our Nine-Blade Fan Template Set and a small rotary cutter makes cutting the pieces for fan blocks faster and easier. Traditional fan blocks can be set in many different ways to make interesting designs.
|Photo B||Photo C|
1. Using center template, cut 1 center piece for each fan unit. If using the Nine-Blade Fan Template Set, use a point cutting tool to mark the notches (Photo A).
2. Cut 5 1/2″-wide quilt strips from fabrics to be used for blades. Cut 9 blades for each fan unit, using blade template and rotating it on strip after each cut (Photo B).
3. From background fabric, cut 10 1/2″-wide strips. From strips, cut 10 1/2″ squares. You can cut 2 background pieces from each square.
4.Fold background square in half diagonally. Align fold edge of template with fold of background square and cut 1 background piece. Turn template over and cut a second piece from background square (Photo C). Use a point cutting tool to mark the notches in background pieces.
1. Join 9 fan blades. Press all seam allowances in one direction (Photo D).
2. Place blade unit atop center piece, right sides together. Align seams in blade unit with notches in center piece. Place a pin at each end and at 1 or 2 of the notches in center of piece. With blade unit on top, stitch 1/4″ seam (Photo E). Press seam allowance toward center piece.
3. Place background piece atop blade unit, right sides together. Align seams in blade unit with notches in background piece. Place a pin at each end and at 1 or 2 of the notches in center of piece. With background piece on top, stitch 1/4″ seam (Photo F). Press seam allowance toward background piece.
Order a set of Nine-Blade Fan Templates from our store.
***The free download link is below for logged-in users. To access Fons & Porter web extras, bonus patterns, tips, techniques, and more—all absolutely FREE—please register or sign in here. ***