Use this easy quilting method to make templates for irregularly-shaped pieces for the Andromeda quilt in the September/October 2009 issue of Love of Quilting.
About Freezer Paper Quilt Templates
If you’re looking for another quilting video tutorial on a particular technique, check out our Sew Easy lessons to find it there.
- Referring to Template Diagram on page 42 of the September/October 2009 Love of Quilting, draw 8″ square on dull side of freezer paper, dividing it into 9 sections. Label sections as shown in (Photo A).
- Cut sections apart on drawn lines to make 2 set of block templates (Photo B). Note: These templates do NOT include seam allowances.
- Press freezer paper templates onto right side of appropriate fabric, referring to Color Key and Cutting Chart on page 42 of the September/October 2009 issue of Love of Quilting. If cutting more than one piece from the same fabric, leave ¼” around each template (Photo C).
- Place ruler atop template with ¼” line on ruler on edge of template. Usuing rotary cutter, cut around each template (Photo D).
- Remove freezer paper and label pieces.
- Repeat steps 3-5 to cut required number of pieces.
|Photo A||Photo B||Photo C||Photo D|
Freezer paper templates can be reused numerous times, and fabrics can be stacked with right sides up to cut more than one piece at a time.—Marianne